T.A.M.S. committee minutes

COMMITTEE MEETING

Thursday 29th May 2018

 

All Committee Members were present and the following matters were discussed and agreed

 

Matters arising from meeting 22/03/18:

  • The Committee agreed the minutes of meeting 22/03/18
  • Peter confirmed that the first part of the clothing order had been received and paid for. There had been a delay with some of the Sweaters but they should be received within the next few weeks. With known orders, only one sweater will remain in stock but there will be a supply of Polo shirts
  • Neville confirmed that he had sat down with all ‘new’ members when they first undertook starter duties and it was all going well

Captain’s Update;

  • Maurice confirmed that all the initial Inter club match results had gone well with just two away losses. He was having problems filling teams and asked if we should consider cutting back to 12. After discussion the committee agreed that we should endeavour to stick to 16. However Maurice was encouraged to put the availability sheets up earlier and will look to do this now a month before each match
  • Maurice also mentioned a problem with the eclectic clashing with the re-arranged Felixstowe home match next week. However Peter confirmed that he had spoken with Jim and the eclectic will still go ahead for those not in the match

Financial Update;

  • Mark produced a financial statement as at 28/5/18 which showed total funds of £7214-41. He mentioned that this did not include the recent clothing purchase bill and some stationary costs but still reflects a healthy position. However he reminded the committee that most of our expenditure is at the back end of the year and this was the norm
  • However Mark highlighted the current Charity income balance of £3608-38 included £2265 donations from Maurice’s family
  • He also advised that the two’s income showed a lower trend than this time last year and Peter confirmed that the numbers playing each week were generally down with more call offs seen
  • Mark confirmed that 85 TAMS had paid their Subs. for the year although Brian Morris’s £35 was given back in the charity donation through his widow
  • He also referred to the £325-60 remaining from Bill Rays money, and with £127-50 spent last year the committee hoped that this could stretch over the next three years with only a small top up needed
  • The final issue mentioned by Mark was the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and he had produced an opt out paper for the committee to view. The committee agreed that the note put out by Peter was sufficient notice via the E Mail, but Mark is to put the note on the TAMS notice-board especially for those without internet access, but where we still hold their personal details on our files

TAMS Events 2018:

  • The Committee Cup was firstly discussed, to be played on Tuesday 12th June. Peter confirmed that all work had been done in advance of the event and he will brief the starters, acquire the prizes and complete all the other needs. However due to a special family celebration on that day he will not be able to stay and as a result Barry Root/Malcolm Lamond & John Ames will look after the needs when the rounds are completed
  • The next event was the annual match with the Ladies on 12/7/18 and Maurice is to sort out with Vera over numbers and food requirements and he will put up a note to see who wants to play. It was suggested that some nearest the pin prizes will be obtained to add to the day
  • Peter brought attention to the Past Captain’s Cup to be played on 26/7/18. He mentioned the suggestion made last year that the draw for teams could be made when the players are back in the club house. However the view of the committee was that this devalues the team spirit and agreed to continue on the established format. Peter will set up on this basis
  • The Rose & Two Thorns to be played on 2/8/18 was discussed earlier but the only action again is for Captain Maurice to talk to the Lady Captain Vera to establish the number of Ladies likely to take part with the TAMS providing twice the number
  • The final event discussed was the TAMS Championship on 9th & 14th August. Peter confirmed the proposal to play the second day in reverse order and he will stress that nobody can play earlier or later, they must keep with the strict order. However he confirmed that those who were only able to play on 14th August will play last and take part in that day’s event only. He will set up on this basis and Barry agreed to take any notices to the club that may be needed at the last moment

2019 Diary Plans:

  • Malcolm confirmed that the fixtures with 4 clubs have already been agreed. Amongst his discussions he confirmed that the Stowmarket date fixtures have been reversed, the Haverhill away date will be later and both the early fixtures with Harwich & Benton Hall will be played a little later than this year. He hopes this will avoid too many early home fixtures and a little later start to the season to stop the possibility of the weather problems experienced this year  
  • Malcolm has approached the two new clubs previously identified and has received an enthusiastic response from Clacton with dates agreed. However he has had little joy with Gosfield and if this is not forthcoming confirmed that he will run with 11 teams next year.
  • At this stage the two teams identified not to play against in 2019 have not been approached
  • Malcolm confirmed his plan was to look to have all the fixtures agreed by the end of August and he will then sit down to sort out the diary with Peter to include the other internal events

Other Matters:

  • Peter outlined the plans for the 70th Birthday event on 3/7/18. He also advised that this will now be jointly sponsored by himself plus John Curran & Iain Scott all of whom will reach this magic milestone soon
  • The TAMS Guest Day was discussed with Richard Clayton agreeable to look after, with help from the Committee. He has suggested that this will be his last year in running this competition. It was agreed that Maurice needs to talk with Richard to agree the spend for prizes etc and the cost per TAM and their guest. In the past the event has been sponsored
  • Barry Root raised the question of the French away trip plans for 2019. He was conscious of the Greetham Valley trip being arranged by John Ames at a similar time of the year. John confirmed that his own plans were not meant to step on the toes of the established French visit but more planned to give an alternative to those who did not want the extra burden of going across the channel. After discussion Maurice confirmed that he would look at the option of running the French Trip at a later time of the year to give those interested the opportunity to take part in both
  • Barry also mentioned the opportunity to play two rounds this year at the Princes Golf Club Sandwich staying overnight with breakfast at a cost of £175. A note is being put up
  • Neville mentioned the course and particularly what we could do to help maintain standards. He suggested repairing pitch marks, raking bunkers and picking up loose tees. It was agreed that Peter would add this to his weekly E Mail
  • It was mentioned that space on our notice-board was at a premium and Peter is to discuss with Tony the possibility of moving the Singles/Pairs draw sheet to the adjoining space   

Date of Next Meeting:

  • To be Thursday 16th August 2018 when the main areas to discuss are to be the Captain’s Day, The Presentation Lunch and an update on the 2019 plans

 

 

 

 

 

COMMITTEE MEETING

Thursday 22nd March 2018

Apologies were received from John Ames with all other Committee Members present.

Matters arising from meeting 11/01/18:

  • The Committee agreed the minutes of meeting 11/01/18
  • Peter confirmed that a note had been put up to request Navy Blue Sweaters and 7 have been ordered. He will go ahead with the purchase and with the Committees approval he will acquire 2/3 additional to use as samples etc. He also mentioned that he had 2 remaining sweaters in Bottle Green and will dispose of these at an agreed reduced price of £15 (Mark Milner is to purchase one)
  • Peter also confirmed that all the dates for the eclectic had been agreed and Jim will sort out the finer details from now on. The starters will be advised on the tee time sheets when the eclectic is to take place
  • It was confirmed that Malcolm is to Captain the Beaumont team and a date has been offered by Bury for the first round away tie. This however clashes with the trip to France and he is to go back for an alternative date
  • Barry updated on publicity, and is to be advised of any stories of interest. He has also updated the TAMS Trophy list and copies of the Trophies were given to the Committee

Captain’s Welcome;

  • Maurice & Malcolm confirmed the re-arranged date for the Benton Hall cancelled match – Tuesday 17th April with as far as possible the same team to play
  • Peter, on behalf of the Committee, placed on record, special thanks to Malcolm for the excellent manner in which he had carried out some difficult and unexpected tasks whilst Maurice was recently away

Financial Update;

  • Mark produced an updated budget for the year with copies given out
  • He confirmed that 86 TAMS had paid their Subs. for the year with another in the post and another considering coming back which would take numbers to the budgeted 88. To the knowledge of the Committee three of those are not now proposing to continue their membership of the club beyond next week
  • He also produced an Income & Expenditure update to 16/3/18. This showed Charity income of £1656-28 which included £800 from a separate fund raising activity by Maurice’s son. He also mentioned that the Two’s were doing well and saw no need to re-consider the previous suggestion that this is increased to £1 The balance shown also includes £162-50 raised for the Stroke Association in memory of Brian Morris. Peter confirmed that Brian’s widow is to visit the Club on Thursday 12th April 2018 at 1-00 p.m. and the monies will be passed to her on that day

TAMS Events 2018:

  • It was confirmed that Ned Long has again agreed to sponsor the TAMS & Ladies event on 3rd May although he will not be re-joining the Club. The committee agreed to invite him and Lesley and will pay for their Green fees. Maurice is to talk to The Lady Captain – Vera Pender and will sort out the numbers to play with mixed fours balls and three to score on each hole
  • The Committee also agreed the same format as last year for the TAMS Committee Cup on 12th June with each Committee member to contribute £10. Peter will set up, although may not be present on the day
  • Peter also confirmed that the draw for the Summer Singles will be made on Tuesday 10th April 2018 and the Committee agreed that Full handicap difference is to apply with no maximum restriction on any handicap

2018/19 Diary Plans:

  • The re-arranged Benton Hall fixture was advised earlier and no other changes are currently planned to the diary for 2018
  • Concerns have been expressed that two Clubs have restricted to 12 players (instead of 16) this year. To compensate for this Maurice/Malcolm have approached two potentially new clubs for 2019 and once dates etc. have been agreed the committee agreed to use these next year in preference to those with only 12 players
  • Peter also mentioned the need to tee off 16 minutes later for those matches with reduced numbers of 12 a side, to allow other TAMS to play before the match. It was also suggested that whilst the Building work is progressing we will need to start from the 1st tee only. The concern was the likely delay with the meal time and it was agreed and if needed then we would start the meal at 2-30 regardless whether or not the last table of eight were available. Maurice will mention this plan to the catering staff

Other Matters:

  • Neville raised the subject of Starter Duties as there have been problems, recently, with sorting out the cash winnings. We are to look at the responsibilities of the Starter document and Peter is to draw attention to this in the next weekly E Mail
  • Peter mentioned the approach by a Club member – Jon Hammond to hold a seminar on Wills, Estate Planning and Inheritance Tax at the Club. It was agreed that it was not our responsibility to sort out any TAMS who may be interested but that we would respond to the approach with the offer of displaying any posters etc. on our notice-board  

Date of Next Meeting:

  • To be Tuesday 29th May 2018 after Dunningham 3 at 1-00 p.m.

 

 

T.A.M.S.

COMMITTEE MEETING

Tuesday 30th May 2017

 

Apologies were received from Colin Spriggs with all other Committee Members present.              The following items were discussed and agreed

Matters arising from meeting 28/3/17:

  • The Committee agreed the minutes of meeting 28/3/17
  • Brig updated on the work being undertaken by him for the Club for future handicap assessment with a lot of time consuming paperwork being produced. He is to continue with the process and asked that we remind all starters, that he needs a copy of the start sheet with details of the winners and amounts won. Peter is to incorporate this in his next E Mail
  • Brig and Mark confirmed that all competition team forms have now been updated. There was some question marks about the need for permission if we use the ‘rainbow’ game and Mark is to take this forward with the Club

Captain’s Update;

  • Barry confirmed that all was in place for the sponsored event on Tuesday 4th July and the £4 entry fee was confirmed. Peter is to put a note on the notice-board advising TAMS of the details
  • Barry updated the Committee on his further plans for his Captain’s day this year (Tuesday 5th Sept). He will replace the past traditional Par 3 & Putting competition and is looking to put a Hole in One competition on the Par 3 area. He has also now agreed a beat the Pro on the 16th with Paul Bate to compete with all groups. There will be a charge either within the entry or on a separate basis and he will confirm at the next meeting
  • He also confirmed that the matches were still going well despite suffering the first loss at Fynn Valley, but is noticing a reducing number of names coming forward
  • He also confirmed that the Captain’s away event was going well

Financial Update;

  • Mark confirmed 85 current paid up TAMS including Brian Fulton who joined with effect from today. A further potential member – Adrian Willis is to come along next Tuesday and Peter will see him and go through the procedure. It was confirmed that the new member form, once completed will be held by Mark
  • Mark produced an updated Income & Expenditure statement with a Bank Balance and Cash in Hand of £5093-65 with charity monies of £1163-15
  • He mentioned that the 2’s net income is now starting to show a profit after the initial ball purchases and that the most noticeable income was the match day raffles with over £100 each time and showing £551 to date

2017 Diary Update & Plans:

  • Peter outlined the plans for the Committee Cup on 13th June with £10 collected from each committee member. He is to purchase vouchers from Tony with details of the prizes already on the notice-board. Barry is to make sure that the Cup is available to present on the day and Peter will remind the Club that this is a Qualifier from Yellow tees
  • Barry is to sort out the Merryweather Trophy event on 13th July, with the Lady Captain and will put up a note for TAMS interested in playing on that day. He will also sort out the food requirements which will be paid on the day by those taking part. Play to start from 9-30 a.m.
  • Peter has the details of the Past Captain’s competition in hand for 27th July and will check which past Captain’s will be available before putting up a note
  • Barry confirmed 15 TAMS names up so far for the Guest Day with two other known attendees confirmed. It was agreed that 20 is the likely norm and Peter will remind TAMS to consider further in the next E Mail

2018 Diary Plans

  • Maurice confirmed that he had the outline plan for 2018, but little more than that at this stage. He has spoken with a few Clubs who advised that the Fixture Secretary will be in touch to firm up the dates. He confirmed that of the new clubs Thorpeness have already agreed but he is awaiting confirmation from Benton Hall

TAMS Chairman:

  • Maurice has put forward the possible idea of a TAMS Chairman. He explained that this was to try and cut out some of the workload of future Captain’s and perhaps encourage more to be interested in this role. This was discussed by the Committee, to also include the alternative of a Fixture Secretary instead. After listening to all the views expressed and the for’s and against, the Committee decided that there was nothing to take forward with the present system suitable for our needs

Other Matters arising:

  • Peter mentioned the isolated problem with a Singles match taking place earlier than agreed, but confirmed that the players involved had been advised and a note sent by e mail to all TAMS
  • Maurice offered to help the Captain with any raffles etc. on his Captain’s Day
  • Barry mentioned publicity and Brig is to look to take this forward with a photo etc on the Committee Cup Day

Date of Next Meeting:

  • The next meeting was confirmed for Tuesday 11th July 17 at 1-00 p.m. after  Dunningham 5

 

 

 

T.A.M.S.

COMMITTEE MEETING

Tuesday 28th March 2017

 

All Committee Member were present and the following items were discussed and agreed

Matters arising from meeting 17/1/17:

  • The Committee agreed the minutes of meeting 17/1/17
  • Brig updated on the work being undertaken by him for the handicap assessment needs and produced the spreadsheet he is using to inform the Club. He advised that he had informed all Starters to ensure that the weekly list was completed with the winners and amounts and left for him in the pigeon hole. Peter is to remind all again in the weekly E Mail

Captain’s Update;

  • Barry confirmed the excellent start in the Inter Club matches with two home wins and a good draw away at Waldringfield
  • He updated on the plans for the July 4th sponsored day by him and three others which will include prizes on a blind pair’s basis and an American Burger for all who play. The committee agreed that there will be a £4 entry fee, to include the ball sweep
  • Barry also updated the Committee on his initial plans for his Captain’s day this year (Tuesday 5th Sept) which will include sponsorship by Ipswich Audi and a number of special hole in one prizes. He is also looking to have a clinic available to TAMS by Paul Bate which will replace the past traditional Par 3 & Putting competition

TAMS Team Competitions

  • Problems have been seen with recent four-ball team competitions when there are three-balls playing at the end. The result of discussion by the committee confirmed that when we have a Three-ball team competition with some Four-balls played at the end then one player will be drop out in turn and decided in handicap order (highest first). Similarly with a Four-ball team competitions and the odd three-ball at the end then each player in the three ball will act (as a ghost player) scoring twice in turn again in handicap order (lowest first). All TAMS will be advised of this procedure
  • It was confirmed that no provision could be allowed for two-balls and if this did occur those involved would need to have the entry fee returned and only take part in the ball sweep
  • It was agreed that some of the problems arise because of the late arrivals at the end and Peter is to remind all TAMS that they must be with the Starter by 9-15 and by 8-15 when we have a home inter club match
  • It was also agreed that our Team Competition forms need some update and amendment to reflect the procedures as now agreed and Brig & Mark will review and update these in the next week or so
  • It was also agreed that the Starter duties need to be updated and Peter will attend to this and send a copy to all TAMS. He will also put a copy on the TAMS notice-board and at the front of the Competitions folder

Financial Update;

  • Mark advised of 84 current paid up TAMS. However it was confirmed that Peter O’Doherty is to leave and the Committee agreed that a £30 refund should be sent to him. It was also thought that Mel Hearn may be leaving and Colin Spriggs will check on this and if so the committee agreed that a further £30 refund should be sent to him. It had also been suggested that Tony Rollo is back from Spain and will be joining the TAMS again soon
  • Mark produced an updated Income & Expenditure statement with a Bank Balance and Cash in Hand of £4190-26
  • He advised that the charity monies are only showing at £370-01 but reflected upfront major purchases of balls at advantageous prices and he had reflected this in the accounts as a negative £199-99 in the 2’s net income column. This will correct and show a positive amount over the next few months

2017 Dairy Update & Plans:

  • Barry produced a copy of the latest Diary update. He advised that the Fynn Valley away fixture had been switched to Thursday 11th May to avoid a clash with the Beaumont match v Bungay. He is also putting in an entry this year for the Colne Valley Seniors Competition on Tuesday 19th September 2017
  • Barry confirmed that he had discussed the Ned Long Trophy Day – Thursday 27th April with the Ladies Captain. He will sort out the numbers and names to take part and he had agreed to having the same food as the Ladies
  • Peter mentioned the Committee Cup on 13th He will run the competition and the committee agreed a £10 each sponsorship. Peter will acquire the prizes with a £2 entry fee (to include the ball-sweep) going to the Captain’s Charity
  • Barry will sort out the TAMS v Ladies match for the Merryweather Trophy on 13th July
  • Peter queried the format of the Past Captain’s Team competition in view of the increasing number of past captain’s now taking part. The committee however confirmed that no changes were needed, just smaller numbers in each team

2018 Diary Plans

  • Barry confirmed that he is to discuss the planning needs for 2018 with Maurice and he (Maurice) is then to start agreeing to the dates for the Inter Club matches, with all other TAMS events then to be slotted in
  • The committee discussed the vacancy arising next year following the short term closure of Waldringfield. Barry confirmed that Waldringfield will fulfil the October 2017 home fixture with us but next year we will need to replace
  • After discussion, both Benton Hall & possibly Thorpeness were seen as possible replacements. The committee agreed that the first approach should be to Benton Hall subject to some tinkering with dates to avoid the wetter months for the away match
  • Peter advised that he will sponsor the 2018 Committee Cup to celebrate his ‘special’ birthday

Other Matters arising:

  • Peter mentioned the possible problems with the forthcoming Singles matches. The committee confirmed that the early rounds may have to be played, mainly on days outside TAMS days/times. The exception being when the TAMS have away Inter Club matches and the numbers playing are then reduced. It was also confirmed that no Singles matches can be allowed when we have home Inter Club matches and on any other day only a max. two matches to be played and subject only to advance two week prior warning (on a first come first served basis). Peter will advise of this agreement nearer to the time the draw is made
  • Maurice has put forward a proposal to have a Chairman appointed to take on some of the speaking/upfront roles from the Captain. The committee agreed that this needs further thought and discussion and this will be put as a separate subject for discussion at the next committee meeting, before taking to the AGM later in the year, if so agreed
  • Peter updated on the progress with the Club’s new Web site and the procedure for items to appear
  • Maurice & Barry confirmed the practice date agreed for the Beaumont team and Maurice asked for help with the selection, especially with those names not in the TAMS
  • Barry confirmed that he had scheduled Friday 8th December for the Committee Dinner
  • He also reminded the committee of the club events that included the quiz on Friday this week and a Take That Tribute band on 30th June

Date of Next Meeting:

  • The next meeting was confirmed for Tuesday 30th May 2017 at 1-00 p.m. after  Dunningham 3.